Indiana Economic Digest | Indiana
Advanced Search

• Most Recent




home : most recent : most recent April 25, 2017


3/10/2017 6:25:00 PM
Improvements in sight for northern Monroe County bike route
Herald-Times graphic
+ click to enlarge
Herald-Times graphic

Ernest Rollins, Herald-Times

A popular bicyclist route in northern Monroe County could see some roadway improvements in the near future.

County officials are pursuing a preliminary engineering study to make improvements along about two miles of North Old Ind. 37 to allow for bicycle lanes.

The overall goal is to make improvements that would allow for essentially a “lake to lake” corridor, coming close to connecting Griffy Lake to Lake Lemon.

But what’s on the table now is only for the first phase, which would run from near Audubon Drive and North Old Ind. 37 along the former highway until it intersects with East Robinson Road. The proposed name for the project is the Bicentennial Pathway, in recognition of the county’s bicentennial next year.

Monroe County Public Works Director Lisa Ridge said the county will pay 20 percent of the preliminary engineering study cost out of the Cumulative Capital Development Fund, while the remaining 80 percent will be from federal funds.

The cost of the study will not exceed $292,925.

Ridge said the project is expected to include 4- to 5-foot-wide asphalt shoulders with accompanying pavement markings, potentially, for bike lanes.

Related Links:
• Herald-Times full text

Copyright 2017, HeraldTimesOnline, Bloomington, IN






Editor, John C. DePrez Jr.; Executive Editor, Carol Rogers; Publishers: IBRC and IAR


Software © 1998-2017 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved