The staff of The Herald-Times newspaper is looking forward to the future, but first we must close a chapter in H-T history. After 61 years in a 61,000-square-foot building at 1900 S. Walnut St. in Bloomington, the H-T newsroom no longer needs such a large space.

The H-T moved to its current location, on an 8.4 acre lot, in 1961. For many years it was a gathering place, recalled former editor Bob Zaltsberg, most notably for its election night parties. 

"Community members were welcome to come in and drink coffee, eat doughnuts and talk to candidates and journalists as the results came in," Zaltsberg recounted. "Republicans and Democrats came together to see who would be doing the public’s work."

In her memoir, Charlotte Zietlow tells of learning of her electoral victory at the H-T office. Things were different in the '80s and '90s though, and both local and national incidents have prompted newsrooms to limit public access. 

The H-T was expanded in 1982, adding 32,000 square feet of production space. A new press was installed and began operating in 1985. The press in the H-T building last ran on Feb. 3, 2020.

© 2022 HeraldTimesOnline, Bloomington, IN