EVANSVILLE — Evansville-based Midwestern Pet Foods has expanded its voluntary recall on its line of dry cat and dog foods after at least 70 dogs died and more have been discovered sick.

Midwestern Pet Foods had already issued a voluntary recall in December after it was discovered several types of its Sportmix High Energy products exceeded acceptable limits of the toxin aflatoxin.

At that time, the FDA reported at least 28 dogs had died.

The expanded recall announced earlier this week includes all pet food products containing corn made in the firm’s Oklahoma plant and that expire on or before July 9, 2022.

The brands include Pro Pac Originals, Sportmix, Splash, Sportstrail and Nunn Better dry dog and cat foods.

In a statement, Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. said, “As a fourth-generation family-owned company, Midwestern Pet Foods has been committed to ensuring that our products are safe and nutritious for nearly 100 years. Until recently, throughout our long history, we’ve never had a product recall.”

The company said out of an abundance of caution, they have expanded this recall to cover all corn products containing pet foods with expiration dates before 07/09/22.

The company also has set up a call center with licensed veterinarians for consumers who have questions or concerns regarding their pet’s health. Call 800-474-4163, extension 455, or email info@midwesternpetfoods.com for more information.

The FDA said they are aware of more than 70 pets that have died and more than 80 pets that are sick after eating Sportmix pet food and the investigation is ongoing.

The following are the recalled products. The full list of lot numbers can be found at fda.gov/media/145066/download.

Pro Pac Adult Mini Chunk
Pro Pac Performance Puppy
Splash Fat Cat 32%
Nunn Better Maintenance
Sportstrail 50
Sportmix Original Cat 15
Sportmix Original Cat 31
Sportmix Maintenance 44
Sportmix Maintenance 50
Sportmix High Protein 50
Sportmix Energy Plus 44
Sportmix Energy Plus 50
Sportmix Stamina 44
Sportmix Stamina 50
Sportmix Bite Size 40
Sportmix Bite Size 44
Sportmix High Energy 44
Sportmix High Energy 50
Sportmix Premium Puppy 16.5
Sportmix Premium Puppy 33

Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning in pets

According to the FDA, pets are highly susceptible to aflatoxin poisoning because they generally eat the same food continuously over extended periods. So, if their food contains aflatoxin, the toxin will accumulate in the pet’s system.

Pets with aflatoxin poisoning may experience symptoms such as sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or jaundice, which can cause a yellowish tint to the eyes, gums or skin due to liver damage.

In some cases, aflatoxin poisoning can cause long-term liver issues or death.

Some pets suffer liver damage without showing any symptoms.

The FDA stated there is no evidence to suggest that pet owners who handle products containing aflatoxin are at risk of aflatoxin poisoning. However, pet owners should always wash their hands after handling pet food.

What pet owners should do

Pet owners are being advised to destroy the products in a way that children, pets and wildlife cannot access them, as well as wash and sanitize pet food bowls, cups and storage containers.

If a pet has symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning, contact a veterinarian immediately. Because even pets without symptoms may have suffered liver damage, it's advised to contact a veterinarian if your dog has eaten any of the recalled products.

These products are sold nationally to online distributors and retail stores. The USDA advises retailers and distributors should immediately pull recalled lots from their inventory and shelves. The recalled products should not be donated or sold.

© 2021 courierpress.com, All rights reserved.